1. Gained Independence = In 1947, from Italy, after the country recognized Ethiopia’s independence and Her status as a sovereign nation; underthe peace treaty.
2. Capital City=Addis Ababa
3. Major Cities = Addis Ababa. Dire Dawa, Mek’ele, Gonder, BahirDar
4. Current Head of State = President Sahle-Work Zewde
5. Official Language = Amharic
6. Population = 102 million (2019)
7. Currency = Birr (ETB)
8. National Flag = Green, yellow, and red; placed horizontally, with the national emblem in the middle
9. Motto = “Ethiopia Stretches Her Hand Unto God”
10. Major Exports = Coffee, Qat, Gold, Leather products, Live animals, and oilseeds
11. Religion = Christianity (62.8%), Islam (33.9%), and Traditional faiths (2.6%)
12. Weather = The predominant climate type in Ethiopia is tropical monsoon. The average annual rainfall in Ethiopia is 1,200 millimeters (47 in). There is an average of 7 hours of sunshine per day.
13. Politics = The country operates a system of government known as Federal Parliamentary Republic, wherein the Prime Minister is the head of government; the President is the head of state but with largely ceremonial powers.
14. Major Tourist Attractions = The Blue Nile Falls, Simien Mountains, Dankil Depression, Bahar Dar
15. Other Amazing Things About Ethiopia
a. Ethiopia is considered one of the earliest sites of the emergence of anatomically modern humans – Homo sapiens.
b. Ethiopia is the most populous landlocked country in the world.
c. Time in Ethiopia is counted differently to most countries. The Ethiopian day is reckoned as beginning at 06:00 as opposed to 00:00, coinciding with sunrise throughout the year.
SOME FAMOUS ETHIOPIAN SAYINGS AND PROVERBS
- “Better an egg this year than a chicken next year”
- “Don’t blame God for creating the Tiger, instead thank him for not giving it wings”
- “A good name is better than a good perfume”
- “Only the man who is not hungry says the coconut has a hard shell”
- “If you gladly stoop to the ground, don’t be surprised to get trampled on”