The origins of modern Egypt covered the era of early prehistoric
settlement in the northern Nile valley to the Roman conquest in 30 BC. The Upper and Lower Egypt were unified in 32nd century BC.
1. Independence: Egypt gained independence on June 18, 1953, with General Muhammad Naguib as the first President
2. Foremost Presidents:
i. Gamer Abdel Nasir (1956-1970)
ii. Anwar Sadat (1970-1981)
3. Capital City: Cairo
4. Major Cities: Alexandria, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Giza, Port Said, Mansoura, Asyut, Ismailia, Suez, New Cairo City and many more.
5. Current President: Abdel Fattah El-Sisi
6. Population: Egypt is the 30th largest country globally, with a population of 88 million and above
7. Official language: Arabic. The common dialect spoken in Egypt is the Egyptian Arabic
8. Currency: Egyptian Pound (EGP)
9. Religion: Islam
10. National flag: is a tricolour having equal parts of red, white and black. The flag has Egyptian eagle of Saladin Centred in the white colour.
11. Motto: Life, health and well-being.
12. Major Exports: Natural gas, cotton, textiles, rice, citrus fruits, dried grain, cement, steel and ceramics.
13. Weather: is characterised by summer from May to October and winter from October to May.
14. System of Government: Operates a Semi-Presidential Republic
15. Tourist Venues:
i. Pyramids of Giza
ii. Luxor’s Kamak Temple
iii. Islamic Cairo
iv. Aswan Feluccas
v. Abu Sintel
vi. White Desert
vii. Siwa Oasis
16. Sport: Football is the most popular sport in Egypt. The Egyptian National Team is called the Pharaohs of Egypt
17. Major Football clubs.
i. Al Ally Football club
ii. Zamalek Football club
iii. Pyramids Football club
iv. Ismaily Football club
v. Al Masy Football club